Lead - CAD Operator / Drafting Technician - Full Time (Calgary, AB)
Posting- OPEN(Revised): November 13, 2023 - November 26th, 2023
Posting- OPEN(Revised): November 13, 2023 - November 26th, 2023
Junior Electrical Engineer (EIT) - Full Time (Calgary, AB)
Posting- PAUSED : Closing date (extended) November 3rd, 2023 (May re-open in January of 2024)
Please e-mail your Cover letter and Resume pdf'd as one document (preferred) before the posting closing date above to:
firstname.lastname@example.org Attention: Human Resources
Junior Electrical Engineer (EIT)
Platinum Engineering is an independent electrical engineering firm in Calgary and Edmonton providing design and project management services to the Light Rail Transit (LRT), Utility and Industrial industries. We are currently seeking a junior electrical engineer to join our growing team in the Calgary office.
This position will be required to complete designs, working with small groups of engineers and technical staff on various projects from conceptual development to construction completion. The position reports to the Senior Engineer and will liaise with the project managers, engineering staff, consultants and contractors to provide quality engineering and construction management services.
This position would be responsible to complete projects or tasks as assigned on schedule. The position will provide engineering services, assist and collaborate with a group of engineering staff to complete projects..
- Develop, manage and coordinate project scope of work, deliverables, estimates, designs and schedules.
- Provide engineering designs and management services as required.
- Communicate and coordinate technical issues with internal and external clients.
- Participate in equipment and construction tender development.
- Produce and review design drawings and technical specifications.
- Coordinate with vendors for technical clarification and design changes.
- Monitor construction progress and implement project QA/QC procedures as required.
- Review and approve field change orders.
- Provide design and project status reports on a timely basis.
Qualifications & Experience:
As the ideal candidate you possess the following:
- A degree in electrical engineering and eligibility for a professional engineering designation with APEGA.
- Proven electrical engineering experience would be preferred, particularly on LRT, Electrical Utility and Industrial projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English are essential.
- Efficient working knowledge of MS Office, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint including database or flowchart manipulation abilities.
- Sound knowledge and experience working with CAD software (AutoCAD and/or MicroStation preferred).
- Preference for working knowledge on ETAP, SKM and SES software.
- The ability to build team relationships and work effectively with office and external customers to ensure that project delivery and quality goals are met.
- Valid Class 5 drivers and documentation (e.g. passport) for occasional travel.
- Preference will be given to those who have industry related work experience, including co-op, internship or summer work.
- Able to travel occasionally within Canada and North America.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Speaks and writes clearly, listens effectively and conveys messages with transparency
- Acts with integrity and takes accountability for actions
- Interface and collaborate effectively with internal and external customers at all times
- Works well with a variety of team members on project critical, time sensitive issues
- Eagerness to face new challenges
- Strong self-starter, with ability to work independently, and possess organizational and teamwork skills
Platinum is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law. We thank all applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls or agency solicitations will be accepted. Thank you
Lead - CAD Operator / Drafting Technician
Platinum Engineering Ltd is a small, independent, electrical engineering firm located in Calgary, Alberta. Platinum provides design, project and construction management services to the Light Rail Transit (LRT), Rail Systems, Utility and Industrial industries. We are seeking a Lead CAD Operator / Drafting Technician to join our team in Calgary for existing and new engineering projects.
The successful applicant will be required to prepare drawings, working with small groups of engineers and technical staff on various projects from conceptual development through to completion. This is a key and integral position within the organization that is the hub of the designs produced and issued. The position reports to a Senior Engineer and will also work closely with project managers, and engineering staff, and customers to provide quality engineering drawings and tasks as assigned on schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and oversee drawings as required using AutoCAD, (preferred but not required: Civil3D, Revit and Bentley Microstation would be considered an asset) to support project team needs.
- Oversee and support the development of overhead contact system (OCS) designs, traction power (TP) and underground (UG) including layout plan views and profiles.
- Communicate and coordinate with the design team for the development of design drawings and packages.
- Assist in the development and implementation of drafting processes, procedures and standards.
- Provide technical assistance to other CAD operators, technologists, engineers and project managers.
- Prepare drawings in compliance with project, client and code standards and requirements.
- Perform thorough quality control (QA/QC) of drawing submissions for compliance to drafting standards.
- Communicate and manage file sharing, drawing archives and records.
- Prioritize work requests based on deliverables needed and schedules provided by project leads.
- Provide support to staff as required to ensure methods, standards and procedures are followed.
- Lead and support other CADD and design tasks as assigned or required.
Skills, Abilities and Educational Background
- Possess a technical degree/diploma in Engineering Design and Drafting Technology or other related education.
- A minimum of seven (7) years CAD experience accompanied with progressing responsibilities and thrive in a team atmosphere.
- Excellent working knowledge in the use of AutoCAD
- Other related experience preferred but not required: Civil 3D and experience with Microstation, Revit, ProjectWise would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of tools and drafting to complete 2D and 3D model development would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of GIS software is an asset.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work under pressure individually and with colleagues to meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (English written and verbal) skills.
- A team oriented work approach with the interest to share knowledge, collaborate and possess a growth mindset.
Platinum would like to thank all applicants and will contact those potential candidates who are suitable for the position based on the company's needs.
At Platinum Engineering, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) have always been a priority and is demonstrated by being upheld in our business practices. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, or other characteristics protected by law.
Platinum offers competitive compensation and bonus incentives, a comprehensive flexible benefits program and a non-downtown location that includes free on-site parking.
No phone calls or agency solicitations will be accepted. Thank you