Posting date: August 6, 2020
Posting Closed: August 23, 2020
Posting Closed: August 23, 2020
Junior Civil / Structural Engineer
Platinum Engineering Ltd (PEL) is a small, independent, electrical engineering firm located in Calgary, Alberta. PEL provides design, project, and construction management services to the Light Rail Transit (LRT), Rail Systems, Industrial and Utility industries. We are seeking a civil/structural Engineer to join our Overhead Catenary (OCS) and Power Distribution team for existing and new engineering projects.
The ideal candidate will have 1 to 5 years prior experience. The successful applicant will be required to complete designs, work with engineers and technical staff on various projects from conceptual development through to construction completion. This role will involve the preparation of Catenary plans and profile diagrams, Catenary support structures, including poles, cantilevers, and foundations. The position reports to a Senior Engineer and will work closely with project managers, engineering staff, consultants and contractors to provide quality engineering and construction management services.
This position would be responsible to complete projects or tasks as assigned on schedule. This includes providing engineering services by assisting engineering staff. The following are some anticipated tasks:
- Develop, manage, and coordinate project scope of work, deliverables, estimates, designs and schedule.
- Provide engineering designs and calculations as required.
- Contribute to technical/engineering reports.
- Communicate and coordinate technical issues with internal and external clients.
- Participate in equipment and construction tender development.
- Review design drawings and material specifications.
- Coordinate with vendors for technical clarification and design changes.
- Monitor construction progress and implement project QA/QC procedures as required.
- Review and approve field change orders.
- Provide design and project status updates and/or reports on a timely basis.
- Provide technical oversight during testing and commissioning.
Occasional travel from Calgary will be as required for project requirements.
Qualifications & Experience:
As the ideal candidate you possess a Bachelor's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering from an accredited Canadian University and have 1 to 5 years of applicable experience in Catenary design.
You are a licensed Professional Engineer in Canada and/or are eligible for APEGA membership.
Preference will be given for knowledge and experience on Rail Systems, Overhead Catenary or Electrical Underground and Overhead Power Distribution Systems. Your experience includes demonstrated skills in the following:
- Canadian codes and design standards.
- Knowledge of engineering computations & structural analysis related to the design of poles, foundations catenary tension calculations, assembly component calculations.
- Proficiency in MS Office and CAD software (AutoCAD and Microstation V8 are preferred).
- Ability to utilize CAD software to design production, assembly, and component drawings.
- Able to work effectively with engineering and construction groups to ensure that project delivery and quality goals are met.
- Experience in multi-disciplinary coordination (integration of other disciplines such as traction power, track, signals, and communications).
- Interpersonal communication and ability to work in a team environment.
- Strong communication and self-motivation.
- Organizational and time management.
- You possess strong English communication skills, both written and verbal, along with excellent interpersonal abilities and willingness to work in a team atmosphere.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills are essential.
- Speaks and writes clearly, listens effectively and conveys messages with transparency.
- Acts with integrity and takes accountability for actions.
- Ability to interface and collaborate effectively with internal and external customers.
- Works well with a variety of team members on day-to-day, project critical, and time sensitive issues.
- Eagerness to face new challenges.
- Strong self-starter, with ability to work independently, and possess organizational and teamwork skills.
We thank all applicants and advise that only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Platinum does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies. No phone calls or solicitations will be accepted.
Resumes with cover letters will be reviewed if received on or before the posting closing date that are e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org Attention: Human Resources
Platinum Engineering Ltd.